HIV-2 from unprotected intercourse in Mozambique?

5 months 1 week ago I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a possible infected woman of a high risk group in Mozambique. The first week in country I had a mild cold for a couple of days. Acclimation. The encounter occured after 2 weeks in country. Several days later I had mild flu like symptoms for about 3 days, nothing more but anxiety. A hiv test after 3 months in country showed negetive (results from a blood sample took 1 hour) and the Dr. said there was no further need for tests. Another test in South Africa at 4 months showed negetive (results from finger prick and drop on a strip took 15 minutes), again the counsoular said there was no need to retest. At 4 months 3 weeks my lymph glands under both arms swole up and have been for about a month now. At times I feel like I have a very slight cold., also slightly off. The stress of the first 3 months really took a toll. A nurse friend told me the steroids produced from the stress probably caused the arthritic symptoms in both ring fingers. What risk am I at for hiv-2? How do I get a test for it? Will be talking with a doctor, but it is an impediment when you don't speak the language, and may have to try to arrange a hiv-2 test in SA in a month. This an endemic area for hiv-2, from what I have described can you comment? Is there a chance of late seroconversion from hiv-1? Also I stopped taking malaria prophalaxis 8 months ago and am bitten by insects regularly. (the reason was concern of long term effects of Larium) Thank you.

Mozambique has higher than 1% HIV-2 prevalence rate, which is significantly higher than HIV-2 prevalence rates in other parts of the world. Therefore, testing for HIV-2 antibodies is indicated in your case.

Do you know if the tests that were conducted tested for HIV-2 antibodies as well? You might save yourself some concern by finding out (some providers neglect to mention when screening tests cover both HIV-1 and 2). HIV-1 antibody tests detect HIV-2 anitbodies about 70% of the time, so the odds that you are not infected are in your favor. However, make sure that you are screened for HIV-2 to be on the safe side.

RMK

Hiv test
Was my doctor negligent?