The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Semen in the bloodstream

Nov 19, 2002

When a guy hits the point of ejaculation during sex or oral activities, what happens if his own semen gets into a cut on his body. Can a guy's own semen infect him? If so is there any particular place on his body that would be vulnerable to infection if he had a cut or opening to the bloodstream? Also, does a person have to already be infected to spread HIV?

Response from Mr. Kull

You cannot get infected with HIV by coming into contact with your own fluids, nor if you have sex with a person who is not infected with HIV. The virus is never "created" by sexual activity, drug use, masturbation, or medication. Also, if the virus were present in your semen, you would already be infected.

HIV, like some other viruses and bacteria, is transmitted from one person to another when an UNINFECTED person's mucous membranes (lining of the rectum, vagina, urethra, or mouth) or bloodstream comes into contact with HIV infected fluid (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, breast milk). HIV is primarily transmitted through vaginal and anal intercourse without condoms, blood-to-blood contact (injection needles), and mother-to-infant, with an INFECTED person.

Solo-masturbation poses no risk for disease transmission. It is probably the safest sexual activity you can engage in. And, in the words of Woody Allen (I'm paraphrasing), it's sex with someone that you love.


The Immune System
Baby oil question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint