HIV testing accurate?

Dr. Kull- I wrote to you earlier concerning my symptoms. Thanks.

I just got my results back for 6.5 week (or 46 days) elisa orasure antibody test which came back negative. The people at the lab there says that I'm most likely negative, because they use the 3rd gen. elisa which is extremely sensitive.

They said I could re-test in another six weeks to be sure, but they said its gonna be negative again, and that I can sleep good now.

Can I trust the results? If I had a possible seroconversion three weeks prior to my exposure, and I had symptoms like dermatitis, dry mouth, etc prior to taking the test, does this mean the symptoms are not due to hiv now that the test came back negative?

I would just like your insite on this, and the likelihood of my test coming out positive in another six weeks. Thanks for you time.

You are more than likely negative. The vase majority of people will develop a detectable amount of antibodies within the first month of exposure.

However, according to the CDC, antibody testing cannot be considered definitive until three months have elapsed since exposure.

It's really up to you. You can trust the information given to you, or you can retest after the three month point has passed.

RMK

Do I need another test?
peeling skin on penis