|Do I need another test?
Nov 12, 2002
Three years ago, I had unprotected sex with an ex boyfriend, whose HIV status is unknown. I finally got up the nerve to go get tested. The ELISA HIV 1 & 2 test came back negative. However, I heard that ELISA is not a very accurate test for HIV. Do I need ask my doctor to perform a Western Blot test to confirm my negative status?
| Response from Mr. Kull
The ELISA or EIA tests are the gold standard for HIV screening. If the ELISA/EIA is negative and you are being tested three or more months after exposure, you have close to 100% accuracy.
No further testing is needed in your case.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Urethra After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Does Washing Up After Sex Prevent Std's?
- How Do I Get Rid Of Genital Warts In The Mouth?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.