2 Pos

Hello-

I found out I am positive about 3 months ago. I'm not on any meds or anything yet. I met this dude online, and he's pos too (he recently found out and is not on meds yet either).

What I'm wondering is, can we have unprotected sex? Obviously, if he's already pos, I can't infect him, or vice-versa, right? I have no other STDs, and either does he. I just don't want to do anything to complicate this already complicated virus. Thanks.

It's good that you are asking this question, as it is a common question among people who are HIV infected. There is no definitive answer to your question; what actually happens when an HIV infected person is reexposed to HIV is not clear. There is some evidence that a person could be "reinfected" or "superinfected" with a different strain of HIV, which poses some concerns. What has not been determined is what kind of effect this has on an HIV infected person.

Until there is more information available, some professionals suggest that HIV infected partners use condoms for anal and vaginal sex.

See Just the Facts for more info on this topic.

RMK

HOME ACCESS AND TRUST
unprotected sex - level of risk for HIV transmission