HIV & Chlamydia

Dear Dr Ryan,

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman (not sex worker) on 25th October 2001. No other exposure after the incident.

I have performed blood test for STD (VDRL, THPA, Gonococcal antibodies, Herpes simplex virus type 1 & 2 and Chlamydia) and HIV (antibodies I & II) on 9th November 2001 (2 weeks) after the exposure and the results were Negative for all the test. Still fearing that I might have infected with STD and HIV I decided to undergo another test and had the same test repeated on 4th January 2002 (10 weeks) after the exposure and all the results were Negative. I also under went another blood test for VDRL and HIV (antibodies I & II) ELIAS/EIA method on 25th March 2002 (21.5 weeks) and the results were Negative. On the 24th April 2002 (26 weeks) underwent ELISA/EIA antibody test and the result was Negative.

Finally on 29 October 2002 (1 year) I repeated the same blood test for STD and HIV. The result was Negative for all the examination except for Chlamydia it was Equivocal.

My question is that how is the Chlamydia result is Equivocal (trachomatis 1gG is 10.4 unit) after 1 year when 10 weeks after the exposure it was Negative. During this time I did not have sex with anyone except with my wife.

I truly appreciate if doctor can help me in this area. And Doctor do I need to do another test on Chlamydia and when I should do it to determine the status.

Thank you doctor for your time.

An "equivocal" result on a chlamydia test means that the results are not definite (like an indeterminate HIV test result). You need to be retested, but the odds are that your test results will be negative. Ultimately, your test results and treatment will best be understood and determined between you and your doctor.

If you are diagnosed with chlamydia infection, it is important that your wife is tested for chlamydia infection as well. If you both are infected, the important thing is that you both receive treatment so that you are not reinfecting one another.

RMK

PS: You're doing A LOT of testing. Is this a symptom of your anxiety about the sexual encounter? If so, please try to seek out some psychological support as well.

Please help I am so scared....
bumps on nose