mutated CCR5 gene, delta 32,

Hi, I just finished watching the PBS program on the black plague amd the mutated CCR5 gene, delta 32. They stated in the program the those individuals having two copies of the mutated gene could not be infected by the HIV virus. I live in the State of Ohio and would like to know where I could have blood work done to see if I might carry the mutated gene and what type of blood test this would be. Thank you.

As far as I know, the general public does not have access to this sort of testing. While the research on the CCR5 mutation is important and quite compelling, it's too early to tell people that they are definitely and always immune to HIV based on this genetic mutation. Your best bet is to continue using condoms until more information is available.

RMK

I'm driving myself insane! Please Help!
Unhygienic Barber