Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Afraid to test
Oct 20, 2002

I had (very brief) oral sex with a man who I met in a gay bar in Amsterdam. He did not cum in my mouth but the sex lasted for 2 minutes after which I got scared and stopped. He did not cum. Exactly one week after the day I developed mild fever, sore throat and chest/nasal congestion which lasted 5 days. On 2 nights I also had night sweats. Then everything disappeared but after 45 days I developed an itchy rash on my knees. AM I INFECTED? HOW RISKY WAS MY encounter?

Response from Mr. Kull

Try to avoid determining your HIV status based on symptoms that you experience after a low-risk exposure. Focussing too much on HIV might lead you to ignore another health-related problem. Always talk with your doctor about symptoms that concern you. See What happens during acute infection?

HIV transmission through receptive fellatio (giving a guy a blow-job) is low-risk when compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Studies have shown that there is a low incidence of transmission through receptive fellatio, and that getting ejaculate in the mouth increases the risk for infection. Read through the Oral Sex Archives for more on oral sex transmission and prevention.

This does not mean that you are at no risk for infection. Since you are a man who has sex with men and had potential mucosal contact with the semen of a person of unknown status, periodic testing is recommended.

RMK

Previous
Transmission
Next
UNPROTECTED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.