Afraid to test

I had (very brief) oral sex with a man who I met in a gay bar in Amsterdam. He did not cum in my mouth but the sex lasted for 2 minutes after which I got scared and stopped. He did not cum. Exactly one week after the day I developed mild fever, sore throat and chest/nasal congestion which lasted 5 days. On 2 nights I also had night sweats. Then everything disappeared but after 45 days I developed an itchy rash on my knees. AM I INFECTED? HOW RISKY WAS MY encounter?

Try to avoid determining your HIV status based on symptoms that you experience after a low-risk exposure. Focussing too much on HIV might lead you to ignore another health-related problem. Always talk with your doctor about symptoms that concern you. See What happens during acute infection?

HIV transmission through receptive fellatio (giving a guy a blow-job) is low-risk when compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Studies have shown that there is a low incidence of transmission through receptive fellatio, and that getting ejaculate in the mouth increases the risk for infection. Read through the Oral Sex Archives for more on oral sex transmission and prevention.

This does not mean that you are at no risk for infection. Since you are a man who has sex with men and had potential mucosal contact with the semen of a person of unknown status, periodic testing is recommended.

RMK

Transmission
UNPROTECTED