Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question on Sex
Oct 18, 2002

I am a HIV- male and my girlfriend is also HIV-. We have been having oral sex with each other and that has been the limit of our activites. We talked about sex and decided to have it in the near future, with the use of condoms. Is there any risk that I should worry about since this is for both of us our first time haveing sex? If there is, what could we do to prevent it? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Kull

If you are both HIV negative and do not have any other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), then there is no risk of transmission of an STI to either of you. This is true as long as you both remain monogamous, i.e. do not have sexual contact with others. Couples sometimes choose to use condoms at the beginning of or throughout their relationship in order to reduce the risk of infection in case one partner does have sexual contact outside of the relationship.

Whatever your decision, it is important that you talk with your partner about your "sexual contract". As formal as that sounds, you can put your partner and yourself at ease if you have a clear understanding of what your expectations are. If there are any doubts about the ability to remain monogamous, continue to use condoms with your partner.

RMK

Previous
Please, Oral Thrush is Killing me!
Next
bloody finger

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.