Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE!--unique oral sex/risk question
Oct 14, 2002

hi- I have read over and over that open mouth sores can increase the risk of transmission during oral-vaginal sex. I am wondering if it matters that 12 months prior to the encounter-in-question I had 2 wisdom teeth removed? Would the 1 year old healing site increase my risk? 13 months prior I also had a cist removed from the inside of my bottom lip and got it stithced.. Would that 1yr old scar make any difference? I am a "worried well" extremely panicked because of the following symptoms: (I know HIV symptoms are non specific--but please shd some light on whether i SOUND infected?) *1 day later, sores under tongue and onlips--went away in 4 days [could their appearance a day AFTER oral sex increase risk somehow?] *Overwhelming fatigue that has lasted since day 1 to present (This is now day 28) *very mild sore throat almost all thorugh the 28 days *lymphocytes a bit abnormally high on blood test 7 days after encounter (4183 where 800-3900 is "normal") *no fever but since day 22, I've been feeling constant heat throughout my head/face--=someimes increasing dramatically--making me dizzy *no apparent rash, no apparent swollen lymph nodes, no measureable fever-- but perissting fatigue and mild sore throat-- coupled w/ these "hot flashes" Please shed light. Please comment beyond a cut/paste form response ! I beg you ! thanks !

Response from Mr. Kull

Dental surgery is only likely to increase your risk of transmission during oral sex if the surgery was recent and provides HIV better access to your bloodstream. 1 year is plenty of time to heal after oral surgery.

You don't sound infected. You sound anxious. It's very important that, if you want the potential for some relief, to speak with a professional about the anxiety you are experiencing.

RMK

Previous
Condoms/Airport XRay's
Next
can you help????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.