Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

A Simple Question...

Hi Doctor. Well i have a simple question to ask you. Can you contract something through having a manicure or pedicure. I know this must sound ridiculous or insane but the Manicurist is always cutting my cuticles to the point of bleeding. I would certainly want to know if i should be aware of this.

There is no evidence to support transmission occurring through receiving a manicure, pedicure, haircut, massage, etc. HIV is only known to be transmitted through sexual, blood (primarily needle-sharing), and mother-to-infant contact.

Manicurists and hair salons are required to sterilize their equipment between uses. If for some reason you suspect that this is not the case, you can ask about their sterilization techniques (if they do not sterilize their equipment, the department of health deserves a call).

Even without sterilization, it is unlikely that HIV would be transmitted via manicures. The odds of coming into contact with HIV infected blood are small, and HIV does not survive long when exposed to the environment.

RMK

Is this high risk rated?
acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome