Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is Aids symptom visible by 8months' time?
Sep 2, 2002

The last time I had sex with my ex-boyfriend is more than 9 months ago. Recently, I found out that my previous boyfriend has been flirting around with other girls (having sex too) during our relationship. He has a very well built figure but the thought that he had "one-night stand" sex with others, bother me whether he has HIV or not. What is the likely symptom after 9months if one is effected with HIV or Aids? I wanted to go for a check up but the usual item they include is HIV-testing. Does HIV-testing includes Aids-testing?

Please advise.

Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

The symptoms a person usually experiences shortly after infection, called acute HIV infection, generally occur within the first month of exposure. It is unusual for a person to experience symptoms related to recent HIV infection three or more months after exposure.

AIDS-related symptoms or illness occurs at the final stages of HIV infection. On average, HIV infected people develop AIDS-related illness about 10 years after infection, but can occur as early as 5 years or as long as 15 years after infection.

There's really no such thing as "AIDS testing". When a person is infected with HIV, their health needs to be closely monitored to determine when they might be at increased risk for opportunistic infections, or when they are experiencing AIDS-related illness. The only type of testing that you would need to consider at this point is antibody testing for HIV infection.

Do not attempt to determine your staus based on symptoms you are experiencing. HIV antibody testing three or more months after your last exposure will be the most accurate way to determine your HIV status.

RMK

Previous
condom split but no ejaculation
Next
(worried) unprotected anal sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.