Is Testing Necessary or should I just forget it .

Dear Dr Kull

I am from Great Britain and HIV testing here is free under the NHS system.

I recently engaged in receiving a blowjob without ejaculation (i stuck my pennis in her mouth)from an escort then we proceded to have vaginal sex WITH a condom.

I have seen from some of your answers that this activity is extemely low risk and that it is not uneccesary to have a HIV test. Now I saw no blood on my penis and my penis had no sores or scratches, and she claims that her mouth had no sores or cuts at the time when I recently spoke to her. So my question is really should I go for a test as they are free over here or should I just forget the encounter safe in the knowledge that I have practiced SAFER sex and that next time if I am unsure wear a condom. I would rather not go to have a test if it was uneccesary as I hate needles but would definately go if I was at significant risk or if it was advised by a proffesional.

Sorry for the life story but would really appreciate an answer PLEEEEEEASE!!!

regards from the UK

Any time you have sexual contact with a person who is HIV infected, there is the possibility of transmission. Some people make the argument that if infection is possible (regardless of the likelihood), testing is reasonable.

Since HIV is not known to be transmitted through insertive fellatio, testing is usually not recommended by professionals who work in HIV. If there is no evidence of transmission through a certain behavior, testing doesn't really make sense.

While I tend to lean towards the latter argument, the decision to be tested needs to be yours. If you do decide to get tested, make sure that the amount of testing you do reflects the level of risk; for instance, I strongly discourage testing every time you get a blowjob without a condom.

RMK

Oral without condom
SIV