The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Aug 12, 2002

I recently performed oral sex on a female about 6-7 days ago. There was a rumor she may have gonorrhea. We had sex but of course I used a condom. I was very nevvous after discovering this rumor because I like to practice safe sex. Now I'm reading that a person may receive gonorrhea in the mouth or throat. After reading this in the morning and talking to one of my friends..(who I must say is very active) actually had something called Zirthomax???He told me to take these just in case. He said his doctor gave them to him as an antibiotic when he was infected once. It has been a week and there has been no symptoms at all but from what I have read, only 10 would see any symptoms. Would this be proper treatment if one was diagnosed with gonorrhea or chlmydia in the throat? Of course I will like to receive a culture from my doctor but I'm wondering what type of treatments would one with possible throat gonorrhea receive?

Response from Mr. Kull

First of all, you only heard a rumor that this girl had gonorrhea. That does not justify treatment. If you are concerned about being infected with gonorrhea, it would be best to talk with your partner about your concerns. If you can't do that, see a doctor and discuss your options instead of taking medication that was not prescribed to you (which I strongly discourage).


Hand job with a cut
Meaning of HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint