I feel like I have symptoms of HIV..Scared
Aug 8, 2002
Hi, about 6 weeks ago I was engaging in sexual activities with a male friend. Before we had "full on" sex (which we used a condom for) he entered me a couple of times for just a few seconds without a condom. Now I am freaking out because I have cold and then this evening I found these little red spots on my thighs. I know these things can be signs of HIV. Do they sound like that to you? Also what is the likelihood or percentage that HIV could be transmitted to me from what I did with my friend? Thanks
Response from Mr. Kull
Trying to determine your HIV status based on symptoms you are experiencing is unwise, anxiety provoking, and unreliable. Recent HIV infection (acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome) should only be considered if ALL of the following are true:
1) You had unprotected vaginal or anal sex (inserting or receiving a penis without a condom) within the past three months.
2) Your partner was known to be HIV infected, or is a person who is in a "high-risk" category (a man who has sex with men, an injection drug user, or a person who has sexual contact with others in an area of high HIV incidence or prevalence, like sub-Saharan Africa).
3) Your symptoms are indicative of acute HIV infection (febrile illness, sometimes compared to flu or mono). The specific symptoms can vary from person to person, but acute infection most often manifests in this "flu-like" manner.
If all of the above are true for you, see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. If all of the above are not true, you should still have your symptoms evaluated by a doctor, but it is not likely that they are related to HIV infection.
If you have unprotected sex (especially if you don't know the status of your partners), HIV testing is a good idea, but that does not mean you are at high risk for infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What's The Likelihood Of Somebody Getting Herpes From Protected Sex?
- What Percentage Of Men Become Infected With Chlamydia And Have No Symptoms?
- What Does Herpes Feel Like In Women?
- What Color Is Discharge From Herpes?
- Treatment Of Male Partner Bacterial Vaginosis
- Symptoms Of Genital Herpes The Day After Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.