Chlamydia

I have seen numerous posts on the internet about the risk of getting chlamydia from oral sex as being low. But most times the oral sex being described is from the person recieving the oral sex and concerned with contracting chlamydia from the givers mouth. I haven't seen much information about the giver and the risks of getting it or any other std. Say I'm a female and I give a guy a blow job uncovered, what are my chances of getting an STD through my mouth. I ask because I've always practiced safe sex when it comes to intercourse and use condoms with spermicide and yet somehow after having some complications, I went in to get checked out and found out I had chlamydia. I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities of how I contracted it so I can be more cautious in the future.

Chlamydia infection in the throat appears to be rare. While sexually transmitted infections are more likely to be transmitted through genital-to-genital contact, any time your mouth comes into contact with a sexually transmitted infection (fluids or sores), there is a risk of transmission to your mouth.

Some STDs that are present as sores or lesions on the skin, like herpes, HPV, and syphilis, may be transmitted to you by having oral contact with the infected areas. Other STDs that are transmitted by fluids or infected mucous membranes in the penis, like gonorrhea, hepatitis B, and syphilis, can also infect you orally (ejaculation in the mouth probably has little to do with it). If you need to learn more about STDs, symptoms, detection, and treatment, see the STD Basics at The Body (http://www.thebody.com/safesex/stdbasics.html).

There are certain sexually transmitted diseases that can be transmitted to your genitals via somebody's mouth. Any infections that occur in or around the mouth, or are transmitted through fluids in the mouth, could theoretically be transmitted to your genital region. STDs that could be transmitted through RECEIVING oral sex are herpes, syphilis, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, and HPV.

Oral-to-genital and genital-to-oral transmission is probably not as common as genital-genital, but it can happen.

RMK

Never Seen This Asked Before
Differing statuses. HIV+ and HIV- gay men