test sensitivity for HIV1 subtypes

Dear Ryan, Please let me begin by thanking you for this generous and invaluable service. I am a 26 yr old heterosexual male living in the UK. At the end of July 1999 I had an encounter with a woman in thatiland that involved brief exposure of my penis to her vaginal fluids. 6 weeks after returning I started to have diarrhoea, joint pains, oral candida, a droning headache with a sense of detatchment and occipital pain...the lot basically. Was ver worried about HIV at the time, so took HIV Elisa at 6wks, 2month,3months and 6months, antigen test at 2 months. All were negative. Also had psoriasis which begean then and prexisting dermatitis worsened. I still have persistent psoriasis, with bimonthly ulcers in throat and discharge from penis three years later. Do you think the diagnosis could have been missed due to non B subtype of HIV 1? Please help. Thankyou.

It is unlikely that your antibody tests were falsely negative. Antibody tests are fine tuned to detect virtually all subtypes of HIV-1. Nevertheless, since a small possibility of an antibody test not detecting a subtype of HIV-1 exists, it is recommended that you talk to your physician about your symptoms to determine if: a) they are indicative of HIV infection, and b) further screening for non-B subtypes is necessary.

RMK

Dr. Kull, I'd really appreciate an answer!
question about syringe....... plzzz help DR KULL