Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RAPE VICTIM NEEDS HELP PLEASE.
Jul 28, 2002

Dear RYAN KULL; After being the victim of a rape in july01, i also had the trauma of having to test up to one year for hiv. i wanted to test to one year for peace of mind,as my attacker, was a drug abuser.my doctor says im ok,and has been quite supportive to me,also he said iam definatly neg for hiv. can i please have your opinnion,as my doc is not really a hiv expert.tests are as follows.exp,14/7/01. 6/8/01 bdna viral load <50. 4/9/01 pcr viral load <50. 20/03/02 bdna viral load <50. 7/5/02 DNA PCR Negative. 20/6/02 bdna viral load neg. 1/7/02 pro viral DNA (roche amplicor) 1/7/02 pro viral DNA (IN HOUSE)BOTH NEGATIVE. 2/7/02 ALSO HIV1 RNA extended assay:negative. (Detection of GAG and pol specific hiv1 proviralDNA/RNA.) ANTIBODY TESTING,from 20/08/01 to 19/7/02.all negative. Doctor can i now put hiv behind me,regardless of my symptoms, ive been unwell for 12months now.various sweating,rashes,lymphnodes etc. ALSO my attacker was from korea,would the tests still pick up his subtype?.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your HIV tests indicate that you are definitely not infected with HIV. There is no need for further testing.

It sounds like you are experiencing an uncomfortable level of anxiety. This is understandable: being the victim of sexual assault is a traumatic experience that can have profound psychological effects. Taking care of your physical health after sexual assault is essential, but don't forget to take care of your psychological health. When you are ready, try to find the support you need from professionals and peers.

RMK

Previous
Really Scared: Water Test + Condom Effectiveness Against Blood
Next
Dr. Kull, I'd really appreciate an answer!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.