Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

low risk vs. no risk
Jul 28, 2002

I know the last thing you want is another question about kissing, but I feel confused. Sometimes you say that this is a 'low-risk' activity, yet from your previous answers, my impression is that it is virtually no risk - is that a correct assumption? I guess my question is would you even recommend testing if the only exposure was by french kissing? Thanks, I am due to get married soon and really don't want to expose my partner if there is any risk that I might be infected from previous episodes of french kissing with others.

Response from Mr. Kull

An activity that involves contact with fluids that potentially carry HIV can never be described as "no-risk". This is because any time a person has contact with HIV infected fluids, transmission must be considered as a possibility.

Possibility does not translate into probability. Probability of transmission is usually described in terms of low or high risk. Low risk means that there is a low probability of transmission. This is usually measured through understanding the biology and mechanics of HIV combined with epidemiological information (the study of the transmission of HIV within populations/people).

Since there is no clear evidence that HIV is transmitted through kissing, it would be easier to say that there is no risk associated to that, but that could be considered innaccurate. It is probably more accurate to say that the likelihood of transmission is "extremely low" or "negligible" because there is no evidence that transmission happens this way.

The fact that the risk of transmission through kissing is so low should hopefully indicate to you how you should proceed. Testing is not recommended, and the risk of transmission to you or your partner through kissing is not a realistic concern.

RMK

Previous
Blood exposure second time Please Answer
Next
hiv2 in mexico ???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.