The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Sick, sick

Jul 25, 2002

Hi, Straight to the point. While traveling in Central America I was hospitalized with diarrhea, vomiting, chills/fever. That was over a month ago and still have mild diarrhea. I have just finished a round of antibiotics(metronidazole and levaquin). I have lost 10 pounds and have a low engry level. I am married and had unprotected sex with a girl about a year ago. Now I am going crazy that I might be HIV+. I'm due to be tested tomorrow, but I have to wait 2 weeks for the results. How good are the home test kits?

Response from Mr. Kull

The HIV antibody home tests (in particular, the Home Access test) are reported to be highly accurate when used correctly (99.9% as reported by the company). Since earlier generation antibody test are used for home testing, this type of testing may not be as accurate as later generation tests that are used when you get your blood drawn. While this probably does not have major implications for most people, it is a factor to consider.

I can't predict what your test results will be, but it is important to remember that one episode of unprotected sex does not pose great odds for transmission of HIV to you, and the symptoms that you experienced are not necessarily indicative of HIV infection.

Even if there is a remote risk for HIV infection, it is important to use condoms with your partners.


Thanks to Kull - Negative
Another oral sex questions with a twist!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint