Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

received oral sex and got a cut on my penis
Jul 21, 2002

Hi - I have been reading this forum for a while and very much appreciate the information you include. I have read several times that receiving oral sex carries a practically negligible risk, and so I made the decision to allow someone I was hooking up with to perform oral sex on me. When I got home later, I noticed a few drops of blood on my underwear and noticed that toward the bottom of the shaft of my penis was a very small cut that had apparently had bled, but had stopped bleeding. The cut is maybe 2-3 mm in diameter, at the very base of my penis. I am now extremely worried about the risk of hiv infection. Is there a chance that i have contracted hiv?

Thank you for your help!

Response from Mr. Kull

It's understandable that you would feel anxious, but it is important to remember that there is no evidence that HIV is transmitted through contact with saliva. The saliva of HIV infected people contains little to no virus, and the virus that is found in saliva is often inactive (not infectious). Studies have found that a protein in saliva, as well as other attributes of saliva, inactivates HIV (up to 90% of virus was inactivated in one test tube study).

This means that saliva coming into contact with a small, superficial cut poses a very small risk for transmission.

RMK

Previous
Medications effects on HIV test
Next
Blood Donation Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.