woman gave me trich

I'm a 28 year old male and I had sex with a woman I met in a club back in mid to late May. I used a rubber but the thing snapped. She gave me a disease called trich. I got diagnosed at a clinic and the health dept. here wants me to go through HIV testing and Testing for Hepatitis B. My question is how long will it take to show antibodies? Will I have to wait six months to know for sure if this woman gave me HIV or hepatitis B? This is the first STD I've got since I was 18. I have a sore throat and the glands in my neck are swollen like they were when I got mono. I'm not a happy guy right now...Not with the situation and not with this girl.

Getting a sexually transmitted infection is no joy ride. The good news is that trichomoniasis is a curable infection, and usually with a single dose of an antibiotic.

Getting tested for HIV and hepatitis B is a good choice in your case, as being exposed to one sexually transmitted infection puts one at risk for others (sometimes people are screened for syphilis as well). Your mono-like symptoms are probably not related to the trich infection, so it's important to rule out other causes.

HIV antibody testing is not considered definitive until at least three months have elapsed since your exposure, but there is nothing wrong with having a baseline test after an STI exposure. The window period for antibody development to hepatitis B virus is six weeks to six months. If infection with hep B is a concern, have a confirmatory test at the end of the window period, and consider being vaccinated against HBV.

RMK

drop by someone's home
skin