The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

woman gave me trich

Jul 21, 2002

I'm a 28 year old male and I had sex with a woman I met in a club back in mid to late May. I used a rubber but the thing snapped. She gave me a disease called trich. I got diagnosed at a clinic and the health dept. here wants me to go through HIV testing and Testing for Hepatitis B. My question is how long will it take to show antibodies? Will I have to wait six months to know for sure if this woman gave me HIV or hepatitis B? This is the first STD I've got since I was 18. I have a sore throat and the glands in my neck are swollen like they were when I got mono. I'm not a happy guy right now...Not with the situation and not with this girl.

Response from Mr. Kull

Getting a sexually transmitted infection is no joy ride. The good news is that trichomoniasis is a curable infection, and usually with a single dose of an antibiotic.

Getting tested for HIV and hepatitis B is a good choice in your case, as being exposed to one sexually transmitted infection puts one at risk for others (sometimes people are screened for syphilis as well). Your mono-like symptoms are probably not related to the trich infection, so it's important to rule out other causes.

HIV antibody testing is not considered definitive until at least three months have elapsed since your exposure, but there is nothing wrong with having a baseline test after an STI exposure. The window period for antibody development to hepatitis B virus is six weeks to six months. If infection with hep B is a concern, have a confirmatory test at the end of the window period, and consider being vaccinated against HBV.


drop by someone's home

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint