Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strep Throat and AVS
Jul 11, 2002

I was reading the article by Rick Sowadsky - "FAQ" dated 6/97. He does a good job trying to pacify anyone who thinks that they might be infected. He also makes clear that any symptom during AVS could be the symptom of another illness.

Some background: I an a gay male that has recently had unsafe receptive oral sex with an HIV+ individual. There was some precum involved. In total, oral sex happened 4 times. 1 week later, I developed a sore throat which I got a throat culture for. I tested positive for strep throat. I am now taking penicillin. Additionally, I have a red rash on my chest which i believe to be guttate (sp?) psoriasis. My research says that this type of rash is possible due to an infection like strep. But...alas, I have concerns.

My question, very simply, Dr. Kull: has strep throat ever been reported as a symptom of AVS?

If you can't provide an official scientific/medical answer (which is fine), what is your personal opinion regarding my situation?

Please note that I will get tested at 3 and 6 months.

Thank you, D.

Response from Mr. Kull

Any time you have unprotected sex with an HIV infected person (be it anal, vaginal, or receptive oral), the possibility of transmission must be considered. While it is unlikely that you would have been infected through oral sex, the odds are increased because you know that you had an exposure to an infected individual and came into contact with pre-ejaculate.

Symptoms associated to primary/acute infection are caused by HIV. Strep throat is caused by a bacterium, streptococcus, that is transmitted by coming into contact with the mucous (nose and throat) of an infected person. They are two distinct infections that are not related. However, having an infection in your throat while performing oral sex can increase the risk of HIV transmission.

Your risk for infection with HIV is low, but it is important to talk with your doctor about your risk and your symptoms.

RMK

Previous
late conversion
Next
concordant couple

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.