The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can having had Tuberculosis affect the Elisa results?

Jun 28, 2002

Hi, I had TB last year, adhered to 9 months of TB therapy (ok, I didn't completely give up drinking-went out occasionally), but the doctor said I was healthy at the end of my treatment and I did strictly adhere to my pill regimen) and got a clean bill of health at the end of it. Now, I'm being tested for HIV on my dermatologists recommendation. Wore a condom, but still am coming down with symptoms-had a rash on my scrotum for two weeks which blistered-one milk watery blster. Then my hands were mildly peeling and hot for about 6 weeks. Now I have thrush and angular cheilitis (off and on for 6 weeks) some very mild red swelling on the bottom of my lower lip (looks like the actinic cheilitis) and almost unnoticable little red marks between my mouth and chin on the right side. Anyway, I tested negative at 8 weeks on the Elisa (don't know which generation of test) but was wondering if the fact that I had tb, which suggests that my immune system isn't so great, might somehow affect hiv antibody formation? Should I request some other test like PCR, or just wait it out for another month and go for another Elisa? Thank you very much-your forum is extremely informative.

Response from Mr. Kull

I am not aware of any research that suggests that tuberculosis will have any effect on the accuracy of the HIV antibody tests.


Semen on worn shoe!
Hep G

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint