The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 21, 2002

I have been with the same man for 2 yrs, no other partners and have had 2 clean pap tests, now my boyfriend tells me that he has trich and I have to be tested. I know that some BV is not spread sexually but this one is right? Could he have been carrying it for sometime & not known it or could I have been carrying it? I have had 2 clean paps while with him. Now I am worried that he may be cheating on me. Neither one of us has had symptoms but we were separated for 2 months in which I remained celibate. Could he have it but not pass it to me?

Response from Mr. Kull

Trichomoniasis, or trich, is caused by a parasite that most commonly infects the vagina in women in the urethra in men. Most men do not show symtpoms and many women do show symptoms (vaginitis). So it is possible to be infected with trich and be asymptomatic.

You should see your doctor since doctors will commonly treat the exposed partner regardless of test results or presence of symptoms. This can prevent you from passing the infection back and forth. Your partner can continue to infect you until he has completed treatment and has been cured.

This is always a tough situation for couples to figure out. There really is no way to tell how your partner got infected. If you do not trust your partner at this point, it will be important for you to try and renegotiate condom use.


Kissing with pizza burn
HIV Time Frame?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint