Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post exposure prophlaxis and testing
Jun 12, 2002

Dear Sir,

I live in France. At the end of February, I had anal sex with a transexual who admitted to me afterwards that he was HIV-positive. To the best of my knowledge, he wore a condom from the time he entered my body until ejaculation. I also checked the condm afterward and poured water into it to see that it had not torn - which was the case.

This said, I panicked and went to the hospital after exactly 40 hours, where a doctor prescribed a tri-therapy treatment which I took for one month - as a precautionary measure, should I have been exposed.

I was told that I would then have to undergo HIV testing one month, two months, and three months after the end of the treatment.

After one month, the tests were negative.

After two months, the tests wee negative.

Now, I have a sudden sore throat and I am beginning to feel alarmed that perhaps I had not developed the anti-bodies when I was lasted tested (three monhs after possible exposure which is two months after the end of the treatment).

1) What are the chances of developing the antibodies between the second and the third month following the end of the treatment ?

2) Can one get infected by HIV even if the condom didn't break ? (I was the one penetrated)

3) If my test is negative after three months following the end of the treatment(4 months after exposure), am I safe ?

Thank you so much for your answers.

RP (France)

Response from Mr. Kull

1) If you had been infected and the medication treatment was not effective, then it is likely that you would have developed antibodies within the three months following treatment.

2) It is highly unlikely that a person would get infected with HIV when having sex with a condom that doesn't break.

3) Testing is recommeneded up to 6 months following high-risk exposure and treatment with PEP; the CDC suggests testing at 6, 12 and 24 weeks. Yours wasn't considered a high risk exposure because the condom didn't break and you were not exposed to fluids. PEP was not necessary in your case.

RMK

Previous
Dormant chlamydia?
Next
HIV PCR will it detect hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.