Post exposure prophlaxis and testing

Dear Sir,

I live in France. At the end of February, I had anal sex with a transexual who admitted to me afterwards that he was HIV-positive. To the best of my knowledge, he wore a condom from the time he entered my body until ejaculation. I also checked the condm afterward and poured water into it to see that it had not torn - which was the case.

This said, I panicked and went to the hospital after exactly 40 hours, where a doctor prescribed a tri-therapy treatment which I took for one month - as a precautionary measure, should I have been exposed.

I was told that I would then have to undergo HIV testing one month, two months, and three months after the end of the treatment.

After one month, the tests were negative.

After two months, the tests wee negative.

Now, I have a sudden sore throat and I am beginning to feel alarmed that perhaps I had not developed the anti-bodies when I was lasted tested (three monhs after possible exposure which is two months after the end of the treatment).

1) What are the chances of developing the antibodies between the second and the third month following the end of the treatment ?

2) Can one get infected by HIV even if the condom didn't break ? (I was the one penetrated)

3) If my test is negative after three months following the end of the treatment(4 months after exposure), am I safe ?

Thank you so much for your answers.

RP (France)

1) If you had been infected and the medication treatment was not effective, then it is likely that you would have developed antibodies within the three months following treatment.

2) It is highly unlikely that a person would get infected with HIV when having sex with a condom that doesn't break.

3) Testing is recommeneded up to 6 months following high-risk exposure and treatment with PEP; the CDC suggests testing at 6, 12 and 24 weeks. Yours wasn't considered a high risk exposure because the condom didn't break and you were not exposed to fluids. PEP was not necessary in your case.

RMK

Dormant chlamydia?
HIV PCR will it detect hiv?