The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could i get chlamydia

Jun 10, 2002

There is this girl at school and she and I are mutually interested in each other. There are rumors, just rumors that she might have chlamydia. Now I am not stupid enough to have sex with her, since it is high risk. But could I get it from her be making out, or receving oral sex, fingering her?

Response from Mr. Kull

I don't know if this girl has chlamydia or not, but I do know one thing: kids at school can be pretty cruel. Besides, that rumor sounds quite circumspect. If this girl was diagnosed with chlamydia by a healthcare professional, I would assume that she would be treated and cured. Chlamydia is curable with the appropriate medication.

Chlamydia is transmitted from mucous membrane contact (the urethra of your penis) with infected fluids or mucous membranes of an infected person (vaginal fluids or vagina, in this case). It is possible, but unlikely, that a person could have a chlamydia infection in their throat and transmit it to a person's genital through oral sex. Chlamydia is not transmitted through kissing or fingering.

If you don't know a person's risk for infection with STIs, it's best to practice safer sex. But there's something odd about expecting her, because of this rumor, to just service you (maybe she heard you had an STI as well?). What if you talked with her about sexually transmitted infections before you hook up, and take it from there?


Sex Toy Safety
New Oral Study

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint