The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment after unprotected oral sex

Jun 3, 2002

I performed unprotected oral sex on a woman of unknown status. I also kissed her, and touched my penis to her vagina.

I've been experiencing strange symptoms: mild flu that resolved, then some fatigue and what felt like I was going to faint.

I was wondering: I hear you can start treatment right after exposure to make the virus undetectable. Should I do this?

Response from Mr. Kull

It is highly unlikely that you have HIV. The only real risk for transmission based on your questions is during unprotected oral sex with a woman (sexual transmission is only known to occur during vaginal, anal or oral sex). There have been very few documented cases of HIV transmission to a person performing oral sex on a woman. The reasons for this are explained in my response to Cunnilingus....

Since the risk for infection is so low in your case, post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is not recommended. PEP--the use of anitviral medications shortly after a high-risk exposure to PREVENT infection--probably needs to be started within 24-36 hours of exposure to be effective. Since the procedure is still not widely practiced, is expensive (and not covered by health insurance), and can cause troubling side-effects for people, PEP is only recommended for individuals who have a significant exposure to HIV. Criteria vary, but PEP is generally warranted when someone has unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse with an infected person or a person from a high-risk group, or for a victim of sexual assault. Programs that provide PEP are developing (mostly in urban areas) and hospitals sometimes have protocols for administering non-occupational PEP.

The bottom line is that PEP is not indicated nor necessary for your case.

You are experiencing some symptoms of unknown origin. Why don't you see a doctor to see if there is some explanation for them?


HPV reinfection in monogomous relationship
Deep Kissing w. Hand Job

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint