Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaginal Tear?
May 30, 2002

I have heard that unless there is a tear in the vaginal wall during or after intercourse, it is much harder for the virus to enter the body, is this true? I heard it can be absorbed through the membrane, but it is less likely. If I had one episode of receptive vaginal sex,without ejaculation and no tears, does this reduce my risk? PLease help I am VERY scared!!!! (i do not know the other person's hiv status)

Response from Mr. Kull

HIV is transmitted sexually when infected fluids come into contact with mucous membranes. Cuts or sores will increase the risk of transmission, but the risk is there without cuts, tears, or sores. The mucous membranes of the vagina actually experience a considerable amount of microtrauma (small tears in the vaginal wall that are not visible to the naked eye) during sex, and this microtrauma likely increases the probability of HIV transmission.

This is not meant to make you panic. The odds are against you getting infected in one episode of unprotected sex with someone of unknown status. Try to use a condom in the future.

RMK

RMK

Previous
PEARLY PENILE PAPULES
Next
do i need to test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.