Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I spread Herpes to another site?
May 30, 2002

I was told that you can spread herpes by scratching or touching a cut after touching/scratching a herpes vessicle. Is this true? If so, does the virus recur in the new site also.

Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

Herpes simplex virus (HSV) types I and II most commonly infect specific areas of the body: genitals, anus/rectum, buttocks and upper thighs, and mouth. It is also possible to transmit herpes to a person's eye. Other than that, it is highly unlikely that HSV I or II would infect other areas of the body.

For example: genital herpes lesions can appear anywhere in the genital region -- vagina, vulva, penis, scrotum, testicles, anus, buttocks, and thigh. When one has a genital herpes simplex virus infection, the virus travels up nerve pathways that start near the surface of the skin and rests at the base of the spine where it remains "dormant" or "latent." When the virus is triggered or reactivated, it travels down the nerve pathways to the skin where it might cause sores or lesions. The nerves in the genital region -- thighs, genitals, anus, and buttocks -- are part of the same network, so theoretically an infected person can have consecutive outbreaks in different areas of the genital region. A genital infection will not travel to other areas of the body on its own: that is, it remains in the general vicinity of the initial infection.

A person who has a herpes outbreak in the genitals should be somewhat cautious about touching the lesions and then their eye or mouth. It is possible to transmit the virus to other parts of the body that way, but it is not necessarily likely. It's best to leave the lesions alone and let them heal in time.

For more information about herpes, you can call the National Herpes Hotline at (919)361-8488.

RMK

Previous
pierced nipple exposure
Next
hpv or herpes affect hiv test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.