Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am not satisfied with my negative result. Maybe HIV-2?
May 22, 2002

Ok, this is probably the most bizzare story that you will ever hear reguarding HIV, but here it goes. Six years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, this kid was trying to get me to drink from his cup. I wont get too detailed, but being that I was drinking from a cup identical to his, I ended up accidentally dranking from his. (He actually tricked me). Well I was a little freaked because I had a big cut in my mouth. Then, honest to God, not more than 2 minutes later, one of my friends told me that his Ex-girlfriend had AIDS, and I heard that from many other people later. I almost had a nervous breakdown. At that time, I had no background info on HIV or symptoms. However, sure enough I did get sick 1 week later with flu and mono like symptoms. Honestly, I have been tired every single day after since I first got sick, even to this day. No other symptoms, just fatigue. I fall asleep instantly and have to sleep during the day sometimes. Anyways, a few years later, my aunt bought me a life insurance policy and I had to take a urine HIV test. Even though they never contacted me, I think I failed it because my aunt kept telling me that she was unhappy with the policy, and then even my mother kept mentioning things to me such as "I think you need some bloodwork done" and "Something about proteins in urine". So, at that time, I am like positive that I am infected and to scared to get bloodwork. Just last month though, I finally gathered up enough courage to go and get tested, and my HIV test came back negative. I told my doctor this story and he thinks its just stress related. Do you think that it could be HIV-2, something else, or maybe a weakened form of HIV did enter my body, in which my body produced anti-bodies, but no HIV reproduction. I mean with evolution, anything is possible.

Response from Mr. Kull

There is nothing in your question that suggests that you are at any risk for HIV infection. What I do get is that you have a good deal of anxiety, and it sounds like your anxiety is making your life pretty miserable. Since HIV infection should not be the focus of your concern, consider seeing a mental health professional to talk about some of the feelings that you are having.

RMK

Previous
Contact with semen
Next
Can my child get it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.