HPV Symptoms & Pap Smear Results

I am a 27 year old female that had unprotected sex and was tested for HIV & STD's at 4 months following exposure. My results from my blood test came back negative, but my pap smear shows High Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions, which I am getting treated for this month. I experience pain when I take the birth control pills, but am fine when I stop. Do I have HPV? If so, can I become healthy and have kids if I stop smoking and take good care of myself with follow-up pap smears. I hope that you can answer my question because I am a bit scared about getting a colposcopy this month and I am sure this question will help other women with similar experiences. Thanks

Please talk to your medical provider about any symptoms, test results, or diagnoses you receive. It's great to do a little research on your own, and then make a list of questions to ask your doctor the next time you see her.

High grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (HSIL). SIL describes abnormal cells on the surface of the cervix, and the "high" or "low" qualification suggests the likelihood of a condition leading to cervical cancer. The colposcopy should reveal more conclusive information, and will guide your medical provider in diagnosis and treatment. It's possible that the pap results are revealing an HPV infection, but you should leave that diagnosis up to your doctor.

For more about understanding pap results, see Pap test.

RMK

Do some condoms kill HIV?
Prednisone & ELISA