Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lesbians and the connection between oral and vaginal thrush
May 13, 2002

I am a female who has been married to a male for a number of years. Two weeks ago I started a relationship with another woman. We had a very passionate w'end together which involved a lot of oral sex. My girlfriend ended up with vaginal thrush and I had a strange ulcer type thing under my tongue, my mouth became very sensitive and kinda vaguely lumpy and i got a coldsore! We didn't think the two were necessarily connected. Today though we had oral sex again for the first time since that w'end and now she has thrush and my mouth has gone all sensitive again! What is going on??? surely they must be related?

Response from Mr. Kull

Thrush (oral candidiasis) is not common in healthy adults. Someone who is not immune compromised is unlikely to experience thrush. Candida, the fungus that causes candidiasis, normally exists in a person's mouth but is kept under control by normal bacteria. Certain illnesses--like HIV and cancer--use of medications, and possibly stress, can lead to oral thrush. So, experiencing thrush after cunnilingus is possible, but unlikely and rare.

This does not mean that one or both of you has HIV or some other illness. However, you may want to see a doctor to get the appropriate diagnoses and treatment.

RMK

Previous
defining casual contact
Next
testing question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.