Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3 or 6 months? I'm confused
Apr 26, 2002

Dear Ryan, Please please anwswer me. I'm the married guy who had oral sex performed on me in Connecticut last week by an oriental massage parlor girl girl who used a comdom and am still worried. Your column is very helpful as well as the various hotlines. I am very anxious and hoping for an answer--apart from mental health what is the need to get tested, and what effectively is the difference between testing at three and six months? I am getting different recommendations. Also does standard testing cover both HIV I and II, and if not, do I need to request both? I would be very grateful if you could answer as I am extremely anxious. Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

You should not assume that standard antibody testing in the United States covers HIV-1 and 2 infection, although it is becoming more standard. You should check with your individual test provider before you get tested if you are interested in being screened for HIV-2.

The CDC guidelines state the testing is accurate at or greater than 3 months following exposure. No further testing is indicated unless it is suggested by a medical professional.

RMK

Previous
Peeing after sex
Next
Oral Sex ( Asia)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.