HTLV I/II

My questions: a regular test acknowledged that my fiance has been exposed to HTLV and that I may also have been exposed (I had a test, but have been waiting to see the results...avoidance is my problem).

What are the risks involved as they pertain to our future? is there anything that can prevent problems that will result from this potential diagnosis? Since we have both been exposed can we have sex in the future? What about children--is that an option?

thank you.

HTLV (human T-cell lymphotropic virus) is a retrovirus (like HIV) that, in rare cases, can lead to adult T-cell leukemia. HTLV is a rare virus and most people infected with HTLV remain healthy carriers. HTLV is transmitted in the same ways as HIV: through unprotected sex or direct blood contact. So, it can be transmitted in to any sexual or needle-sharing partners, and from mother to infant through during pregnancy or breast feeding.

For more information, please talk to your doctor. You can also look at the NIAID fact sheet on HTLV.

RMK

Last Time
What is the risk for a top