Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

seroconversion time period?
Apr 16, 2002

I read somewhere, that the time of seroconversion (pos antibody test) depends on the type of exposure... is this true? my question is, I tested neg at 15 weeks after unprotected vaginal intercourse, should I still be paranoid? is that type of exposure going to seroconvert later than say another type of exposure? or am I "worried well" ( I hope so )?

Response from Mr. Kull

What you are talking about is only speculation, and there isn't much concrete evidence to back this theory up. These ideas were raised when persons exposed through needlestick injuries took longer to seroconvert than the average. Since mucosal exposure in sexual contact is different than exposure through needle-sharing or occupational exposure, the theory was based upon different mechanisms for transmission.

Testing negative at 15 weeks after unprotected vaginal intercourse means that you are HIV negative. No further testing is necessary.

RMK

Previous
concerned
Next
Can one contact HIV from performing oral sex on a Woman

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.