Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ear piercing Question
Apr 5, 2002

How safe is ear piercing nowdays? I was just asking because I had my daughter's ears pierced in a mall boutique, and after I got it done, I read stories about hiv being spread through ear piercing guns.Im really scared for my daughter's health. The person doing the piercing used sterile earring studs,wore gloves, & wiped down the piercing gun with alcohol. The earrings were in a bubble wrapped cartridge that was inserted in the gun and from what I see there is no contact with the gun and her ear. The only thing concerning me was the ear piercer wiped the gun down and then did the piercing and touched the back of my daughters ear to make sure the clasp was locked(while wearing the same gloves)Should I have my daughter tested to ease my mind or am I overreacting? Thanks in advance.

Response from Mr. Kull

There is no evidence of HIV being transmitted through ear piercing. Leaving aside the fact that sterilization should protect ear piercing clients, transmission through this method is improbably for many reasons. The odds of having your ear pierced after an HIV infected person are low (at least in a mall in the U.S.) and the fragility of the virus when exposed to the environment makes transmission through contact of this sort unlikely (see Survival...).

HIV testing for your daughter is not necessary.

RMK

Previous
if two monogomous partners have HSV 2, is ot necessary to use a condom EVERY time we have sex?
Next
Worried about infant& exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.