Short and not Sweet

Hi Dr. Kull,

I am sure you have heard it all before but here it goes anyway. I was at a bar last week and had way too much to drink. Two girls drove me back to my hotel and came in for a drink (my first mistake). One thing led to another and during a heated moment there was unprotected vaginal sex for about all of two thrusts or about 10 seconds with one of the girls. I didn't want this to happen but she was on top of me and before I knew it, it was too late. This was a huge mistake! I have never done anything like this. I am married and really concerned about HIV/STD's. I really don't know her status other than she said I should have nothing to worry about. I went to my Docter and he thought the risk was very low for HIV and thought that testing was optional. However, I did get tested for Gon. and Chly., and I am waiting the results. I am looking for a second opinion on this, since it is important I take the right action. What are your thoughts? Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

It is unlikely that you would have been infected through one episode of a brief insertive exposure to an HIV infected female, but transmission would not be impossible. Until you are sure of your status (HIV/STDs), even though infection is unlikely, it is advisable that you use condoms with your wife or abstain from sex.

RMK

HIV 2 in United States-
blood transfusions