Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Open Couple
Apr 1, 2002

Dear Dr. Kull: My husband and I have an open marriage. I am 43. I have been having a sexual relationship with a man since I was 28. He is married also, although his wife does not know. My question, If this man is dishonest with me re: the number of other females he may have had sex with and lets say one of them has AIDS, is it possible for one of them to give the virus to him and for him to pass it on to me? The AMA states that AIDS cannot be transmitted from a woman to a man but I do not agree with that. Anything is a possibility? I do not have any symptoms that I am aware of, but I do have some anxiety about it. Thank you for your time.

Response from Mr. Kull

It is not true that HIV cannot be transmitted from a female to a male. Patterns of transmission appear to be different in different areas of the world, but it is clear that men become infected through heterosexual contact. For example, certain regions see extremely high heterosexual transmission rates, like sub-Saharan Africa where 90% of AIDS cases are heterosexually transmitted, 40% being men. Heterosexual transmission is responsible for approximately 70% of AIDS cases in Central/Latin America. These figures are in sharp contrast to the 11% of heterosexually transmitted AIDS cases in the U.S, where female to male transmission is quite low.

More research should reveal the factors that account for the variances in transmission rates. Certain biological determinants may play a role (circumcision, STD rates, immune response), while more qualitative determinants, like sociocultural issues, may play a role as well.

It is impossible to predict whether or not your partner is putting you at risk for infection. Certain factors increase the odds for him being infected (sex with men, sharing injection needles), but otherwise the odds for transmission are low. However, since transmission is always a factor when you have sex with a partner of unknown HIV status, condom use is recommended.

RMK

Previous
Retrovir as PEP
Next
Onset of HIV Symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.