Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CDC????
Feb 26, 2001

Hi Mr. Kull. I, as well as a few friends called the CDC yesterday. To my surprise when I asked about the window period, the counselor told me the vast majority will test poz by 3 months. She said that the CDC is conservative and wishes to cover all bases therefore, they still say to test again at 6 months. She said it is very rare to test positive after 3 months. The reason this surprises me, is the fact that I, or anyone else I've spoken to has ever heard the CDC say 12 weeks. It was always 6 months and that's it. Have you heard this info? I find it strange but reassuring that they are all of a sudden saying what most of the world has been saying for a while now. I just wanted to share this with you. I hope you post it. Thanks for the time and service you provide.

Response from Mr. Kull

In my experience with the CDC, they have always given me the same response that you heard (three month window period), even though they haven't officially changed the recommendation. The CDC probably wants to err on the safer side.

RMK

Previous
number in aus
Next
Dear Mr. Kull

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.