The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Skin problems--HIV?

Mar 25, 2002

Dr. Kull, thank you for providing so much information.

Here is my scenario. I've been sexually active with men for a year now, when I first started having sex with men, foolishly I did not use condoms (4 or 5 times). I ONLY participate in insertive anal sex and know that although the risk is less for a top than a bottom there is still a risk.

However I have been using condoms exclusive since then and only practice safe sex.

My problem--this past October/November the skin on my palms of my hands and the soles of my feet started peeling and eventually peeled off. I know this is a common condition for someone who may have been exposed to a certain enzyme or cleaning product. Also I have a rash under my arm that resembles jock itch which I have been applying anti-fungal medication to. Are these conditions symptoms of HIV infection?

I am meeting with an HIV counselor next week to talk, and work up the nerve to get tested, I'm very scared and sorry about the mistakes I've made in the past, but have learned from them.

Thank you.

Response from Mr. Kull

I cannot tell you if your symptoms are related to HIV-infection. The best way to determine your status is to have an HIV antibody test at least three months after your last exposure (which it sounds like you are doing). Also, see a doctor about any symptoms you are experiencing.


testing in India

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint