Orthodontists

My child had orthodontic treatment about 3-4 years ago. I read recently that many othrodontists reuse/recycle orthodontic materials, usually sending them out for cleaning. Furthermore, I read that it is important to ask the orthodontist about his/her infection control percautions. Also, the orthodontist had a row of chairs, spaced apart, but not individual rooms. Is there a risk of HIV (or other disease transmission) here or am I just paranoid? Thanks!

You shouldn't have to ask your orthodontist if he is using infection control precautions because you should assume that he is. Of course, it's okay to ask, but for some reason I doubt that your orthodontist would say, "Of course I reuse my tools." Unless you see some glaring evidence that he used an unsanitary tool, then you have no reason to worry about HIV or other infections.

RMK

Advanced strain infection possible?
hiv infection through a monkey