The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer. I am so confused.

Feb 16, 2001

Dear Ryan: First of all, thanks for all the insights and valuable information. About two months ago, I inserted my finger into a sex workers' vagina for about one or two minuets. I fingered her quite vigorously. The next morning, I found out there are two healing small cracks on my skin. I got freaked out. I went to my doctor and he said HIV infection from fingering has never happened before. He also said it is extremely difficult for HIV to enter the body thru small cracks like the ones I had. He stated that there is risk, but it is so small that can be negligible. He advised me to go to counselling instead of taking an HIV test. Do you agree with my doctors' assessment? I am so confused now and I don't know if my doctors' assessment is reasonable. Should I listen to my doctor and try to accept the fact that I am not infected?

Response from Mr. Kull

Your doctor sounds like a wise man. I couldn't have said it better myself! If you have any questions about his recommendation, take a look at What are the risks of fingering someone?.

It's important that you build a trusting, communicative relationship with your doctor. It's healthy and advisable to be informed and active in decisions about your health. However, if you are continually doubting your provider's ability or decisions, you may need to take a deeper look at what's happening.


Scared about encounter with older woman

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint