The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Name of test to check STDs including HIV

Mar 12, 2002

Which test I need to do for checking STDs including HIV?

Response from Mr. Kull

Diagnosis of different sexually transmitted infections, including HIV, require different procedures. For diagnosis of HIV infection, the most reliable and widely used tool is the antibody screening assay (like the EIA or ELISA). For syphilis, diagnosis is established through a VDRL or RPR blood test, which looks for antibodies to the bacteria that cause syphilis. To diagnose genital herpes, blood tests to detect antibodies can be performed, but a clinical exam confirming the presence of herpes lesions is more useful for the patient (this may include performing a culture from fluid from sores). Chlamydia can be screened for through a urine sample or through collecting a specimen from the cervix or urethra; in some cases gonorrhea can be diagnosed in similar ways. Genital warts are diagnosed through a clinical examination.

And the list goes on.

If you are concerned about a particular sexually transmitted infection, believe you are at risk for one or many, or you are experiencing symptoms that seem related to an STI, see your doctor for an examination and to explore your screening options. Unforunately, there is no single test to screen for multiple STIs.


Nervous, please respond.
Used room-mates razor after 24 hours

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint