Insertive Oral Sex vs Deep Kissing

Dear Ryan, Thanks so much for your website. I've gained a lot of insight from reading your replies. I've written before, but you haven't taken up my question. Maybe you'll see this one. I'm wondering, if deeping kissing is not a transmission route for HIV infection, would I be correct in thinking that insertive oral sex, where no rough handling is involved, is regarded in the same way? Also, as it's pretty impossible to see if a partner's gums might bleed a little during insertive oral sex, I don't quite know how to interpret the term "visible" blood in the mouth. Is the slightest trace of blood enough to cause an infection? Could you maybe shed some light on that please? Thanks you.

You're correct in assuming that the risk of unprotected insertive oral sex is very low because saliva is not implicated in transmitting the virus to uninfected individuals.

I'm not sure how to interpret "visible" blood either, since there are no standard definitions for this term. The intent is to differentiate between, for example, bleeding that is associated with dental work, and a trace amount of blood from brushing one's teeth. You should clearly avoid blood when you see it, and beyond using condoms all of the time for all sexual contact, there is little else you can do.

RMK

Disease
HIV II question