GENITAL HERPES

after a vaginal penetration from a man he informed me that he had herpes(fine time!) 12 days later a had a severe outbreak ------------IN MY MOUTH -- as I do have a history of herpes 1. That was 12 days later. It is NOW 22 weeks later and I am still negative on an antibody ELISA. I never got genital herpes but the fear of hiv has been ever-present. Question is: Could that 12 day "coincidental" oral herpes 1 been something to do with ARS? The guy was on a suppressant drug for his herpes and I know now there can be shedding so transmission could still have been possible. Second question is :Why do people take suppressant meds for genital herpes in the first place? Is that a "bell-ringer" that he did in fact have hiv because his immunity was so suppressed from the hiv that he had to take it? Questions have been a "mystery" to me and have not gotten an answer -- would appreciate your insight.

It is normal for people to start asking many questions after having an experience like yours. The only way to really know if you have been HIV infected is to get an HIV antibody test. Otherwise, you are just going to scare yourself silly by over-analyzing every detail of the situation.

Taking medication to prevent an outbreak of genital herpes is in no way a sign that he was HIV infected. People who experience outbreaks sometimes prefer to take medication on a consistent basis to prevent the frequency and duration of outbreaks. It is not always clear why some people have more severe or frequent outbreaks than others.

RMK

testing: HIV 1 vs. HIV 2
Oral Transmission Question