Dissidents

I am a volunteer educator with an HIV/AIDS organization in Kingston,Ontario (CANADA). I have been reading a lot about dissidents lately and I would like to know what is being done by medical professionals to combat the problem on a social and scientific level. Thanks.

AIDS/HIV dissidents (sometimes referred to as denialists) have been around since the beginning of the epidemic, but have been getting a little more press than necessary lately. It's like giving airtime to people who are claiming that the world is flat! The fact that the dissidents arguments are not based on any original research and simply poke at so-called problems with current HIV science makes their claims a tad flimsy.

If you would like some sound, scientific, research-based arguments that counter the dissident movement, please see the following links:

Answering the AIDS Denialists: CD4 (T-Cell) Counts, and Viral Load

NIAID-Supported Scientists Discover Origin of HIV-1

Dr. Mathilde Krim Refutes AIDS Denialists on ABC's "20/20"

Questions and Answers: HIV Is the Cause of AIDS

The Evidence That HIV Causes AIDS

Durban Declaration on HIV and AIDS

As you'll see from the above links, there is plenty of support from the scientific and HIV/AIDS community to combat misinformation about HIV. And there's much more. But honestly, there is only so much attention you can pay to a tired argument. Educating the public about the facts is most important.

RMK

Indirect vaginal fluid on chapped lips
Detection