Insertive Anal intercourse

About 3.5 weeks ago I had performed anal sex on someone who I now have learned may be HIV positive. The condom broke and to make matters worse I had a small raw area on my penis. I wondered if you could tell me about the risk of getting HIV from insertive anal intercourse. I went to my Dr. and tested negative at the outset. I also began HIV prophylaxis. Thanks alot.

If your partner was HIV positive, there is a chance for transmission in your case, but the odds are against it. Several factors need to be met for transmission to occur. For you to be at risk for infection, HIV infected fluids (blood) would have to come into contact with your mucous membranes (the urethra). Where the condom breakage occurred and what you were exposed to are not clear, and condom breakages rarely result in the transmission of HIV. Also, the insertive partner is at less risk for infection than the receptive partner.

It's great that you used a condom; it may actually have provided some protection against HIV transmission. Condoms do break, so it is important to think about this encounter and see if you discover anything that contributed to the condom breakage.

RMK

oral sex
Indirect vaginal fluid on chapped lips