The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Feb 24, 2002

My husband is HIV+.Two months back we had a sexual contact without condom, so I was pregnant. Is any possible HIV for me?

Response from Mr. Kull

Any time that you have unprotected sex with an HIV infected person, transmission is possible. Since you want to avoid guessing whether or not transmission occurred, it is best to get tested and talk with a doctor as soon as you can about your exposure. When having an exposure to a person who is known to be HIV infected, early detection and treatment options may be pursued.

The fact that you became pregnant from this unprotected sexual encounter has no relevance to the likelihood of HIV infection. It is crucial that you determine your HIV status through testing, so that if you are infected, your medical providers can help you prevent HIV transmission to your child. Certain medications used around the time of delivery can greatly reduce the odds of transmission to the neonate.

All of this being said, there is no guarantee that you have been infected. It is possible that infection won't happen when having unprotected sex with an HIV infected person (the odds of transmission in one exposure are actually quite low). Still, it is important that you consider seeing a doctor and talking about your risk for infection as soon as you can.


Should I be worried?
Is it pain or swellin of glands during ARS ... and survival of of hiv once it leaves the body?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint