Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kiss Me Like You Mean It
Feb 11, 2002

Ryan: You do such an excellent job here! Thank you! My question is that age-old bugaboo: Can AIDS be transmitted via deep kissing? The CDC says there must be "visible" blood, which evokes -- at least to me -- a "Dracula" movie. I'm asking this because I had an intense kissing session (fully clothed) with a man who is positive. The next morning, my old panic set in. Is deep kissing safe? Possibly safe? Potentially risky. It's really all I want to do anymore, so I'm nervous....

Response from Mr. Kull

The important thing to remember is that there is no evidence that HIV has ever been transmitted through kissing. In fact, the only routes of transmission through "sexual" contact are anal, vaginal, and oral intercourse. So unless you are making out with Count Dracula himself, it is extremely improbable that you would become infected through kissing.

The saliva of infected people contains little to no virus, and the virus that is found in saliva is often inactive (not infectious). Studies have found that a protein in saliva inactivates HIV (up to 90% of virus was inactivated in one test tube study) and other factors that may contribute to the noninfectious quality of saliva. This is why transmission through kissing or receiving oral sex doesn't seem to occur.

Am I hearing that you are reluctant to have sex, and are limiting your sexual contact to kissing because of HIV fears? If that's the case, you may want to talk about your anxieties with a knowledgeable and compassionate person. Don't get me wrong: kissing is great, and if that's what gets you going, more power to you. But if you are limiting yourself because of HIV, there are ways to deal with your fears without sacrificing pleasure.

RMK

RMK

Previous
oral-anal contact
Next
CDC and oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.